This chart is a representation of population and tax revenue of the various states. Size of circle is proportional to the area of the state. The states are arranged in the decreasing order of area.
1. This graphic form is inspired from William Playfair's mapping Europe's population and revenue in 1804. Playfair is credited to have invented line, area and bar chart to represent data graphically.
2. Tax revenue of a state has two components: own tax revenue and share of Centre's taxes. The visualisation considers only own tax revenue, since it’s a more accurate indicator of industrial activity and consumption.
3. The baseline for depiction of area of states was Delhi, the smallest state.
4. North-eastern states were excluded because of low their low population.
5. Data: Reserve Bank of India